Thursday, August 15, 2013

CHAMPS Freebie

I am finally getting into the swing of things. I went on my last trip of the summer this weekend and my classroom is close to ready. And it isonly 70 degrees today.  It's starting to feel like Fall!

This summer I went to a three day training about CHAMPS and our new Intervention System in our County, incorporating PBIS and RTI.  So this is my first year of implementing some of the CHAMPS behavior strategies at school. I am pretty excited!  One key component is the CHAMPS Plans for Activities in Your Class.

If you are using this in your classroom, you use the CHAMPS acronym to define detailed behavioral expectations for each activity you have in your class (workshop, carpet time, small group, etc). Here is the CHAMPs acronym along with questions to ask yourself for developing each structured activity.


  • Conversation: Can students converse during this activity? About what? With whom? For how long?
  • Help: How do students get your attention for help? How do students get questions answered? What should they do while they wait for you?
  • Activity: What is the expected end product of this activity? What is the task or objective?
  • Movement: For what reasons can students get out of their seats during this activity? Do they need permission to do so?
  • Participation: What behavior shows that students are participating or not participating?
  • Success: There are no questions for this one. When CHAMPS expectations are met, students will be successful.
Here is an example of my CHAMPS plan for Reading Workshop

C: Whisper Voice, Reading Partner, No more than a Minute
H: Raise your Hand when I am not with a group
A: Reading Independently and working in reader's notebook
M: Responsible Movement 
P: Focused on Assignment 

As teachers, we already have these expectations in our mind, but laying them out like this for the students helps them know what we want. If you are implementing CHAMPS it's important for the students to clearly know what is expected.  I created a CHAMPS chart to hang in my classroom to help me!

I will be using clothespins to show the students what the expectaion is.  It was too big to get a clear shot, but good news...

I created it as a freebie with an editable version too! :) 
Click on the picture below to download. 


Have you implemented CHAMPS in the past? I'd love to hear about it, since this will be my first year. 

For more information about Randy Sprick's CHAMPS, visit here


5 comments:

  1. I had forgotten how much I loved CHAMPS when I used it at a school I taught at! Thanks for the reminder!

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of this before but I love how it clearly sets expectations. I'll have to look into this more. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love CHAMPS! I used it lots at the school I subbed at. Some classes didn't use CHAMPS specifically, they used a different way of clearly setting expectations - but I'm all for positive behavior systems. My school this year is using CHAMPS school wide. Thanks for the freebie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how Champs set the expectations. Just remember to review, review, review. The kids will get the hang of it!

    Crystal Shepherd
    lucytumnus@gmail.com
    Lamppost in a STEM classroom

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...