Tuesday, February 19, 2013

If We Can Write, Then We Can Solve!

We are finishing up our big Multiplication and Division Unit this week.  I love teaching multiplication in third grade.  The kiddos are always so excited because it is something new.  Since a deep understanding of multiplication and division as equal groups is such a big part of Third Grade Common Core, we spent last week writing multiplication and division problems. If students can write an equal groups word problem, than they should be able to identify an equal groups problem!

I had each student write a multiplication problem and division problem.  On the front they wrote the word problem and drew a picture. Then on the back, they wrote an equation and showed how to solve it.




Then I created Equal Groups Books

Excuse the fact that they are not cute at all!!  Each book had around 10 word problems. 

Then during Math Workshop, solving these class word problems was one of their options.  They loved it, since their friends wrote them. 



We also had a little technology project, using tables as arrays.  I had the students write another multiplication word problem on an index card. Then we went to the computer lab and they typed their problem in Microsoft Word.  I taught them how to insert a table and VOILA...an array!

Their favorite part...choosing a font!  It was an easy way to get them practicing their typing skills and integrating some fun technology!

Well I'm outta here to watch my favorite show, New Girl! Do you watch this show?  
You should and you'll love it! I love all things quirky and it is definitely quirky. 

Have a great Wednesday friends!

8 comments:

  1. Love all the multiplication activities!! Never thought to put all their story problems into books. And yes New Girl is my new favorite show!!
    Jessica

    Apples and Papers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely doing this activity with my kids this week! They will love doing each others problems! Great idea - thank you!!!


    Gabrielle
    Teaching Special Thinkers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE how you incorporated technology with the tables! Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE everything about this post - group work, making books, technology, and New Girl!! What a great idea to make students work into a book for others to solve. Love it!

    Brittany
    Stickers and Stamps

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT ideas! Love creating word problems, LOVE the books, and love the incorporation of technology by adding tables. Using all of these activities this week as we wrap up our division unit. Thanks SO much for sharing!!

    Andrea
    Pennants & Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you used their own ideas to create problems for everyone. It makes it so much more personal and therefore useful. Cute does not equal intelligent. I think so many times teachers are worried about what something looks like instead of it effectiveness. This is so great and totally doable by everyone. Thanks for the ideas!

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE, LOVE, these ideas! Thanks for sharing Amber! I can't wait to use these with my third graders. This would be perfect for our upcoming test prep review. Have a great weekend!

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...