Sunday, January 20, 2013

Surviving Indoor Recess and a New Lapbook

So it's been a crazy week.  You see here in my part of the country there was no sun until Friday.  We even had a little snow on Thursday night and had a two hour delay Friday morning.  I never thought that weather would affect my job so much.  My kids were crazy.  We were stuck with each other all day and everyday.  Don't get me wrong I love my sweeties, but sometimes I need my recess time more than they need it.

Since we were stuck inside, we had some fun with indoor recess.  We played some of their favorites, Silent Ball, Four Corners and 7 Up, but I wanted to share some of our favorites you might not know about!

First up, a fun spelling game! It's easy peasy and can be done with any list of words or even math facts!
I'd call out a word and they'd write it out on their white board.

Then when the students wrote it down they'd sit on the floor. 
Then we would say together how to spell the word.  The first person who sat down got to choose any action for us to do for 10 seconds.  Such as marching, playing air guitar, jumping jacks, etc.  


Easy right? It's a game you can even play just to practice your words when the sun is out too! 

Our second favorite thing to do is DANCE!  Sure we dance to the Cupid Shuffle and the Chicken Dance.  But we also love Just Dance Kid videos we find on Youtube! 

Here are a few of our favorites...



You can follow my Brain Breaks board on Pinterest, I've pinned lots of fun videos and songs!

I've also spent the weekend updated my Celebrating Black History Lapbook!  If you have already purchased it, be sure to go to My Purchases and download the new copy!

The new version is aligned to Common Core, includes reading selections and 7  foldables!




Check it out at my TPT Store or TN Store if you are interested!  I am so excited to start it with my kiddos next month!  

I'll give away two copies this week.  You can enter by doing two things:
1. Leave a comment and let me know what your favorite indoor recess activity is.  
2. Pin Something from my TPT Store or Blog and leave a comment telling me what you pinned.  
Be sure to leave your email.

I'll pick a winner on Wednesday. 

I hope everyone who has tomorrow off has a great vacation day and if you're working I'll be thinking of you! 
Have a great week!

19 comments:

  1. I pinned your polka dot and classroom theme set http://pinterest.com/pin/316096467565970813/

    cheriemae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep it simple and just let my kids play board games.

    cheriemae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We play with toys and games most of the time, but who left the room is tons of fun!

    caitlinelise.payne@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do "free choice" recess time. They choose between technology (desktops or Ipads), math games, movie at carpet, or reading in the library. It gaves me time to catch my breath and do a little teacher preparation !

    lmburto@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pinned this blog post because I loved your ideas for indoor recess! http://pinterest.com/pin/104075441360906851/

    lmburto@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pinned your Polka-Dot & Chevron Classroom Theme Set. It's so cute! Definitely looking for things when I decorate my future classroom!!!

    http://pinterest.com/pin/118923246382291843/

    caitlinelise.payne@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. For indoor recess we either like Adventures to Fitness or just free play. I pull out my puzzles, game, etc and they LOVE it! Last week we only got outside one day because it was so wet. I got out the pop cube blocks and they played so well with those - so many creations! I love just watching them be kids and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I pinned your Pot o' Gold Writing Craftivity. It looks so fun!
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Pot-o-Gold-Writing-Craftivity

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the indoor fun :) I'm going to spend my day tomorrow downloading some of your video pins (since I can't get to the good stuff at school). Thanks for these videos, Amber!! Love the lap book, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I train my class how to be independently entertained during indoor recess. (I am not Julie from the Love Boat, after all!) One year I had a group that made a H-U-G-E city from construction paper scraps. It was about 7 feet long! THey loved it, I loved how quiet they were...win/win!

    tokyoshoes (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  11. For indoor recess we do Adventure to Fitness! My kids love it!

    Christina :)
    Apples, Books, and Crayons
    applesbooksandcrayons@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I pinned your Holly Jolly Common Core Reading Centers! Never can have too many centers!

    http://pinterest.com/pin/100979216616917331/

    Christina :)
    Apples, Books, and Crayons
    applesbooksandcrayons@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have free choice between board games, puzzles, Legos, whiteboards....honestly the girls usually play school and the boys love to play with my boys old action figures:) renae2125@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. My students love to play Heads Up, Seven Up. It keeps them busy and quiet!

    Aimee
    aimee@vanmiddlesworth.org
    Pencils, Books, and Dirty Looks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I pinned your Map Skills Lapbook and Foldables. I own it and love it!!

    http://pinterest.com/pin/102879172709748435/

    Aimee
    aimee@vanmiddlesworth.org
    Pencils, Books, and Dirty Looks

    ReplyDelete
  16. When we have indoor recess my class LOVES to play BINGO. We use spelling words, vocabulary words, or thematic words. I use the random word chooser on my smartboard file to pick the words. They love seeing the words being picked and they even read them aloud as they are picked.

    I pinned two of your products: The Lapbook and Foldables Templates and the Super Gallon Man!

    azoreo9@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. We rarely have indoor recess (we're in AZ), however last week we did because it was only 19 degrees outside when it came time for my recess duty. We did adventure to fitness... but we just did the teasers because I couldn't remember my log in information. I had about 70 kids in my room all following right along. It was AWESOME!


    Also, I pinned your Geometry Lapbook. We NEED that in our classroom right now!
    http://pinterest.com/pin/39617671694204572/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Amber,
    I love reading your tails of a third grade teacher and I, too, am in North Carolina, but on the coast in Wilmington and Topsail Beach. I have a question for you: a couple of weeks I found an amazing lapbook for reading comprehension. I flagged it and shared it with my teachers. They LOVE it and we want to make them. Now I can't find the originator of the lapbook and have looked everywhere. Usually my download has all of the information I need but I can't find anything. Was it you? I so hope so. Thanks.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...