Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Daily Schedule Linky


Man, is it only Tuesday?  I have been so busy the last few days! I am the sponsor for our robotics team and it has consumed my life the past few days.  I'll share more about that another time!

While on my Google Reader, I found Stephanie's Fun Linky today!

I love finding out about other people's day, so I thought I would share mine too!

7:45- Teachers must be at school! I'm usually there around 7:30.  I used to be so good at getting to school early, but not so much anymore!

8:00- Kids are in the room.  They unpack, lay out their homework, sharpen pencils, and make sure they have books for Reading Workshop.  I used to have them do Morning Work every day, but it's so many copies and I always have stragglers so it's hard to take a grade.  So now, my students have a couple options.
1. Read a Book anywhere in the room
2. Practice their Word Sort for the week
3. Finish any unfinished work from yesterday
It's worked fabulously with the group of kids I have this year.

8:20ish (or when I'm done receipting money, doing attendance, checking homework, etc)- Math!
I love my math time!  I heart our math curriculum so it makes math so much fun. Lots of discussion, lots of partner work, lots of games, lots of word problems!

9:20- Snack and Track.  A time for the kids to eat and walk the track.  A time for the teachers to gab.

9:40- Reading Workshop.  My favorite time of the day!  A little mini-lesson at the carpet.  Then the kiddos read  for 40 minutes.  I conference for the first 15 and do my guided reading groups for the rest of the time.  Then they meet with their buzz groups for a few minutes.

10:40-Shared Reading.  I am trying my best to integrate my shared reading with my content.  I do a lot of my lapbook work during this time.  We focus a lot on asking questions and finding information in the articles and passages.  

11:00- Lunch Time.  Sometimes I have to be with my kids, sometimes I get a break!

11:40-Language Time- I just started this after Christmas. Don't judge.  I'm trying to be more intentional about teaching the CC Language standards.  Surprisingly, the kids love it!

My afternoon schedule is usually a little different, depending on the day.  Monday and Wednesday I have Computer Lab after lunch (we don't have a Computer Teacher so that's all me). Tuesday I have my kids all to myself.  Wednesday I have Media and Music.  Thursday I have PE and Guidance.  Friday I have Art.

So after all that craziness...here is how my day usually goes.  Somedays we don't get to it all, especially Wednesday and Thursday.

12:30 STEM- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math- We might do science experiments, or small math groups, or a technology project.  We usually only have STEM 3-4 times a week.

1:00 Recess- Ahhhh....

1:30-Writing Workshop-  Another favorite part of the day. Minilesson at the carpet. Writing time and conferencing.  I love the share. I love hearing their writing!

2:00 Word Work-  We use Words Their Way.  So the kids spend some time practicing their sort or some sort of word work activity.

2:20- Find It Fix It.  This has changed my life. I love having a cleaner room.  I don't know who blogged about it last year, but it has made me such a happier teacher.   Here's how it works.  I pick one thing in the classroom that need to be fixed/cleaned and I keep it a secret.  The kids scurry around cleaning up the room and fixing everything.
They have three rules.
1 No Talking.
2. No Running.
3. Only put things where they are supposed to go.
After a few minutes or until the room is straightened, the kiddos go back to their seats and stand behind their chair.  I start giving clues about the winner, the last one standing is the winner.  I have a secret though.......shhhhhhhh.....it's rigged!  I choose one student a day  and just watch for what they pick up.  That way everyone wins at some point.  The winner gets something out of my treat bucket!

So that's my day!

Be sure to check out the linky to find out about other people's schedules! I'd love to hear about your favorite part of your day!

9 comments:

  1. I love the Find It Fix It game...what a great idea!! :) We clean up everyday, but this would make it more fun for the kids !

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am intrigued by your STEM time. I would love to hear more about it!

    Sarah
    Magnificent Mama and Teacher on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing that! I find it so interesting to hear about the schedules of other teachers. I used to do something like your find it fix it, but I called it "magic trash!" Can I just say that every teacher deserves a duty-free lunch break...every day!!

    Kathy O.
    ThirdGrade Doodles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the "Find It, Fix It" concept! My students are always so eager to help out and this would add some more fun to clean up time. It's funny though - their parents say they don't like cleaning at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your ideas instead of doing morning work. I'm finding that I'm running into the same problem this year with my students arriving later and not being able to count work as a grade. I also might steal your "Find It, Fix It" idea!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love doing "find it". I call mine a "magic piece of trash". It's amazing how much cleaner the room is when we are finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm interested in your schedule. We have lots of emphasis on intervention in our district. Do you have anything like that in your schedule?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the find it, fix it idea!! So smart!!! I like how it's not just picking up trash, but organizing things too! I'm definitely going to be trying it this week!!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Find It, Fix It = Genius!! No judgement here on the language time. Seems lie you found just the right way to work it in. I really like the way your day is organized!

    ❤ -Stephanie
    Falling Into First

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...