Thursday, December 6, 2012

Addition & Subtraction Christmas Trees

I love Christmas. I love crafts.  Third grade and CCSS makes me feel like I don't have time.  Well, I'm making time and throwing some CCSS in it for good measure.

If you were one of the 5 people that followed me at this time last year, you might remember my multiple trees.


I cut out a large triangle for each student.  They drew a number and wrote it on the star.  Then they created ornaments with the multiples.  

Well, with our huge focus on adding and subtracting,  we are not teaching multiplication until January.  So after I cried a little about not being able to make the multiple trees, I modified them for addition and subtraction!

So, here is what we did.  The students drew four digit cards and used the digits to create 2-Digit numbers.  Then they created an addition problem. They repeated the process until they had 4 addition and 4 subtraction problems. 


Then they checked their work with a calculator. 

Then the crafting began.  I wanted them to all look different, so no templates or anything!  They cut out a large green triangle.  Then cut out the ornaments and star.  To create the ornaments, they folded a piece of construction paper and cut out on the fold so it would flip up.  Then, they wrote the equation on the front and the answer on the inside. 


Then they added some decorations and Voila! 


They turned out great and they all looked so different. 

The whole process took a while but we needed some fun! To add to the fun, we listened to my Christmas Pandora station and sang along.  They really liked hearing me sing along to Alvin and the Chipmunks! 

Do you have any fun Christmas craft ideas that incorporate math or another subject? I'd love to hear about it!

Be sure to check out this fun linky from 2nd Grade Pad!

9 comments:

  1. Super idea for a fun Friday! Thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun fun! I get it - content, content, content - no time for fun. : ( But we can squeeze fun in where we can!

    Buzzing with Ms. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog! My 3rd grade stepson just began homeschooling. I am looking for learning activities to assit with his homeschool online classes. This will be the perfect activity for him today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love getting some crafts in! I am hosting a Christmas Craft Linky party and this would be a GREAT blog post for you to link up.

    Please head over to do so.
    Christmas Craft Linky Party

    Thanks,
    Cynthia
    2nd Grade Pad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute idea! It will work great with my 4th graders, since we ARE working on multiples.

    We are having a giveaway this weekend. Stop by our site if you have a chance. All you have to do is leave a comment and you can get an item from our TPT store for free. We'd love get your feedback!!

    Amanda and Stacia
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea.
    I want to share a nice link for math practising.

    http://mathskillbuilder.org

    It is free, my kids like it. I recommend it for everybody.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...