Monday, November 5, 2012

Writing Gallery Walk

We FINALLY finished our first piece of published writing in Writing Workshop.  This is my first year teaching writing ever.  That's awful, I know!  I am loving teaching it though.  I love how it gives the students a chance to write about whatever they want, as long as it's in the genre we are learning about.

I started the year using Lucy Calkin's Third Grade Writing Workshop.
It helped setting up my classroom and the procedures.  It was hard though, because it really didn't give a lot of  specific plans, which I really needed!

Thank goodness to my dear friend Elisabeth for sending me to this site.  It is the Portland Public Schools' website and they have posted writing workshop units for K-5 for free!!  Can you say fabulous?????  Trust me. It is.

So, I wanted to make sure that we celebrated our first piece of Published Writing.  So, we had a Gallery Walk!  The students laid their finished products on their desks. Then, the other students walked around and left post -it note comments at their desk.  We even  had refreshments!






The students loved reading each other's writing. As well as, reading their classmate's comments.  It was a big hit.  You could have heard a pin drop for the first 10 minutes because they were so into it! The fact that they were munching on cookies and juice may have been part of it too! :)

My principal stopped in and she loved it too! I'm thinking next time, that we're going to do it even bigger and include parents too!  

What do you do to celebrate the students' writing?  I'd love to hear some ideas! 

In other news, my rug came in last week and I love it! So do the kids!
I had a few people ask about it, you can check it out here!

We are out of school tomorrow, well we have a workday, so we did our mock election today. 


They loved their "I Voted" Stickers!

Have a great Tuesday!  Don't forget to vote tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing inspiration! I have to admit that writing is probably my least favorite subject to teach. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of a gallery walk to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amber! I LOVE your gallery walk for writing. Thanks for this wonderful idea! I've used a gallery walk with other things in my classroom but not writing. I can't wait to try it.

    ... LOVE the rug. I just added this to my Donor's Choose. My kiddos are so into the geography of the United States, and this would be a great learning tool in our classroom library. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a great week!
    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...