Sunday, September 16, 2012

I Told You I Would Post About Teaching...

Anyone else struggling just to keep their head above water?

Let's see, here's a look into my life. All things Common Core. Planning. Planning. Planning.  Leading our Robotics Team.  Oh and tryyyyying to have a life.  One saving grace is that I have a wonderful group of sweeties!

Even though it's a lot of work, I am loving implementing all things Common Core.  My kids finally have procedures down so we are working hard on our curriculum.  Here's a glimpse into what we've been doing.

I am loving our Math Time.  We are fully implementing Investigations in our county this year.  Who else uses it?  Do you love it too?

It's very, very, very hands-on (and it's a lot of prep time). The students have a chance to explore math, instead of just showing them how do it.  It's a big change in a teacher's thinking, but it's well worth it.  We play lots of math games during our math block.  The kids love it!



Also, our Reading Workshop is Launched!  I love teaching reading this way.  My kids are loving it too.  We are up to 35 minutes sustained reading.  Only 5 more minutes to go!  
This week we focused on sequencing and retelling fiction.  Technically there isn't really a Common Core Standard for sequencing (well....as far as I can tell),  but it's awfully hard to retell without sequencing.  Plus, it lined up perfectly with sequencing during writing workshop!

Here are some of our anchor charts! (Oh to only have better handwriting...)
I got the first two ideas from Pinterest.  I don't know what I'd do without Pinterest Anchor Charts!



During Shared Reading, we talked a lot about fix-up strategies for our reading. We are going to be reading a lot of content books and articles this year, so I wanted to spend a lot of time on monitoring comprehension. 

Like I said, my anchor charts are not as neat as I would like, but I try not to stress about it.  I also like having my students add to the anchor chart, so they take more of an ownership role in their learning. 

Last but certainly not least. I have two freebies for you guys!

First up, here's a real, real simple sequencing map.  My students used this during workshop time to practice sequencing whatever book they are reading during workshop time.  Then they glued it in their reader';s notebook. 

Click here to grab it from Google Docs!

Also, here's a parent communication tool that I use. We have weekly folders that go home every Tuesday (or for me, sometimes Wednesday...)  so I fill one of these babies out and send home. It's a really easy way to touch base with parents, plus a great way to nip little things before they become a problem.  Plus I love getting a chance to brag on my sweeties!

Click here to grab it!

Let me know if you can use these freebies!  

Oh and I had a great time this weekend with some great bloggers!  I'll share tomorrow! :)


Have a great week! :) 


3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed meeting you yesterday! Great blog!

    Heather
    Simple In Second

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the freebies, I was just thinking about some little notes to send to parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the simplicity in your weekly progress form! Thanks for the freebie.
    ;0) Melissa
    Www.moretime2teach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...