Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ships, Shapes and Traits

Thanks for all the well wishes! I feel much better.  Not really feeling like going to school tomorrow, but that has nothing to do with sickness.  Getting ready for this test is stressing me out, but I'm really trying not to focus too much on it.  I did have a fabulous weekend though.  You know my love for movies, well I also have a love for Nicholas Sparks.  So I saw the Lucky One.

Zac Efron 

+

Nicholas Sparks 

=

A Good Time!

I mean have you seen Zac lately?


My point exactly. 

Anyway, this is a Teaching Blog, so let's move on. But before real teachery things....

We have this phenomenon at our school.  Is it true other places? Ice cures everything.  Seriously.  Bee stings, skinned knees, any playground mis-hap.  It's a miracle worker.

So, one of our constantly injured third graders had a bee sting on Friday during recess.  He goes to the office to get some ice.  This is what he comes back with.

Check out that bag of ice. We laughed for about 10 minutes.  That bag of ice is bigger than him! 

Now, on to actual teachery things.  

Like I said, we are getting ready for the big test.  I can't just bring myself to do reading and math all day.  I love my content too much. 

Well, a few of my little ones have been enthralled with all things Titanic.  So, since last weekend was the 100th Anniversary, I decided to do a little mini-unit.  

Luckily, my dear friend Elisabeth created a nifty little lapbook and I found this awesome resource on Pinterest from the Primary Junction.  So I used their resources and we set sail on our learning journey. 

Elisabeth created these Passenger Cards, so each student was given a real Passenger and at the end of the week each student found out their Passenger's Fate.  My students loved it! One of my students refused to answer to her actual name all week, we had to call her Molly Brown! 

We created these "lapbooks with a twist". 




We have also been hard at work trying desperately to finish up our Math Curriculum before the test in three weeks! I can't believe that I am so far behind!  Normally I am always done before Spring Break, but I know it's because I have taught things more thoroughly with a much more hands on, problem based approach.  So we have been working hard on our Geometry Unit.  

We have gone on shape hunts, worked on our geometry lapbooks and created Solid Shapes out of Marshamallows! 



Well you have stuck with me this long, here is a freebie!

We have been reviewing our character traits that we have been were supposed to be working on all year!  So in place of spelling, we have been working on Character Trait Booklets. 


These pesky little words are always in our EOG reading selections and questions.  Some of these words the kiddos do not know and their lack of vocabulary amazes me every single year.  

So every day during class, we define 5 words from our list.  Then for homework, they write an antonym, a sentence and draw a picture for each word. 



At the end of the work they had a quiz on the words.  

So, I have the list for you and 4 quizzes to match! There isn't a theme with the clipart, because I have so many cute little sets, I just wanted to use them all! haha!  

It's at my TPT Store. It isn't thing too fancy, just quizzes, but I thought someone out there might find a use for them! 

 


Well have a great Monday! Oh and I am close to 300 followers! I have been so out of it this week, I didn't even realize how close I was! You know how much I love giveaways, so I'm already planning one for my big 300! Spread the word and be on the lookout for it. :)

8 comments:

  1. I am in LOVE with Zac Efron. HAH. Sooo good looking. =)

    Anyways, my kiddos are also obsessed with everything titanic. We have been doing all sorts of exciting activities to go with it as well. I have scheduled a speaker to come talk to my class mid-May. She had family members who survived the titanic and now she goes around sharing their story. I am SO excited! =)

    Congrats on almost 300! Pumped for your giveaway! =)

    Ms. Smith
    Adventures of Ms. Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the freebies! I'm moving up to fourth next year, and I'd love to do a twist on your character trait book, what a great idea!
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in LOVE with that titanic laptop book! What a fun idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower:) Stop by and visit me...

    learnplayandhavefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out!!!! I am glad your kiddos loved the Titanic Lapbook :)

    Twins, Teaching and Tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love Nicholas Sparks, it is one of the few really "girlie" things about me. I am so jealous that you saw The Lucky One, I didn't make it to the theater yet. Thanks so much for the freebies-I can't wait to use with my kiddos. As for the testing I hope that it all goes well. If your blog is any indication of your commitment to teaching I am sure that your kids with do extremely well. Best wishes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Titanic lapbooks. We study the Titanic in our disaster unit in the fall. I want to use this idea next year. Thanks for the character traits quizzes. Best wishes on the test. ( Isn't it crazy how stressed out we teachers get over these tests?!)

    Have a great week!
    Krista
    http://stellar-students.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That movie was so delicious! I mean it was a very dreamy, no no no, I mean it was profoundly seductive, oh gosh, I can't say that either! Let's just say the Zac is growing up nicely!

    Our school doesn't use ice for boo boos. We put wet sponges in plastic bags in the freezer, then when they are frozen they take care of those chronic boo boos when you need them. Plus you can just refreeze them.



    Patty

    Second In Line

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...