Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Professional Development Part 2- Kidblog.org

Last week I posted about my first session of Professional Development, Using Google Reader and Pinterest. Be sure to check it out HERE if you missed it!

I got such a great response, I decided to make it a weekly thing, Tech Savvy Tuesdays!


Yep, I have a theme day.  I'm in the big leagues now! haha!  I am going to post about some sort of Technology that you can use in your classroom.  I love using tech tools in my classroom, but it's hard to make the time for it sometimes.  So at least now I'll know I need to have some awesome tool to share every Tuesday.  (Making myself accountable...look at me!)

Well, my second session of Professional Development was about using Kidblog.org in the classroom.



Does anyone else use blogging with your students? My kids loooove it!

 Here are my top 5 reasons why I love using it:
1. Students get to explain their thinking and it can be integrated into any subject.
2. Students practice typing.
3. Students practice forming complete sentences, using punctuation, etc.
4. Students learn about appropriate social networking skills.
5. Student centered!  Not only can I ask them questions, but they can create posts and interact with their classmates.

During my Professional Development on Kidblog, I gave my staff the chance to check out my classroom blog.  I gave them some examples of ways to integrate Kidblog in different subject areas. The possibilities are endless!!!

Then I let them create their own blog, showed them how to add students, write a new post and approve comments.  It is all very easy. Click here to check out the handout.  Thanks to Elisabeth for letting me use her handout to create my own!

The Professional Development with my staff went really well.  It was a small group, so I was really able to help them set up their blog right then to use with their students.

I've heard from most of the staff who attended the training, they have used Kidblog with their kiddos and they loved Not to mention their kiddos loved it too! They had to fill out a Google Form to let me know how they implemented the blog in their classroom.

I'm hoping to do the session in the future with some staff that weren't able to make it.  I think it is a great tool for students to use to develop those 21st Century Skills!

3 comments:

  1. I found your blog from Pinterest :) I am excited about this website...I hope to do more with blogging next year! I just started mine about a month ago, and I love keeping my parents informed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also use kidblog and have blogged about how I use it for science instruction. It's awesome and the kids really enjoy using it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I want to use this with my students before school is out for the summer and fully implement it next year.

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...