Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Comparing Fractions Activity and an Awesome Nomination

One more day and then a workday! Ahhhh so exciting!

I have become so crafty since I started blogging and blog hopping!  Yesterday I introduced comparing fractions and I wanted to touch it a little bit more today.  So we made these cuties!




I downloaded the adorable snowman from Amy at Step into 2nd Grade with Mrs. Lemons. You can download the template here for free.  She makes the cutest craftivities!  I had been wanted to use the snowman for a while and I just needed a good way to use it.  Do you ever have days where you come up with something on the fly?  That's what I did today.  I  already had the snowmen copied and voila, I came up with my comparing fractions snowman. 

I had the students roll a pair of dice and create a fraction with those two numbers.  Then they wrote it on the blue sheet and drew the fraction in the rectangle.  They did the same thing for the second fraction.  This way they could have a visual of the fraction size.  Then they wrote the two fractions on the ear muffs.  Check out the nose!  We made it look like a greater than or less than sign.  

I thought they turned out so cute!  I uploaded the fraction part of the template on to Google Docs, click here to download that part.  It's nothing super fabulous but it gets the job done! 

Can I also say that I feel super special!    I was nominated for a 2011 Fascination Award


Online PhD Programs

There will be lots of awesome teacher blogs nominated, so you'll definitely have to check it out! Voting starts next week, I'll let you know when!

Also, this afternoon I got to visit Elisabeth's, at Twins, Teaching and Tacos, school to learn more about using reading and writing workshop exclusively in your classroom.  No more basal reader for this girl! I am so excited to start it next week! 

Oh and, don't forget to enter my giveaway! Click Here to check it out!



8 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!!! You know I will vote for you. :) :)

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Friend!!! You know you've got my vote. Can't wait to see the change in your kids with your new reading instruction!! Bye Bye yellow reading book :)

    Twins, Teaching and Tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your award! Going to vote for you now! Thank you for your sweet comment the other day :)

    Haley
    Following Optimism

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!! I can't wait to see what you come up with after throwing out that basal :)

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fantastic activity. Thanks for sharing.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...